Nantclwyd y Dre is a timber-framed house in Castle Street, Ruthin. We know from tree-ring dating that the earliest part was built in 1435 or 1436. At the end of 1435 the plot of land on which the house now stands was held by a Welsh weaver, Goronwy ap Madog, and his English wife, Suzanna. In 1441 the house was leased to John Grey, probably an illegitimate son of a member of the Grey family that held the lordship. By 1456 it was the residence of Geoffrey the Clerk, a scribe able to write and speak both Welsh and English, who had risen to a position of importance. In the late 1480s it was occupied by another clerk, John Flixton, whose family had, like many Ruthin in habitants of this period, come from the Lancashire estates of the Greys.
As with many historic buildings over the following four hundred years the property passed through the ownership of many different families who all made alterations and extensions of the original property. During the Victorian times, the house as used by two surgeons, then an ironmonger (who became Mayor) before becoming a Girl’s School and then a Rectory.
Along side all of its useage during this time, from 1834 to 1970, the house served as the lodgings for judges who visited the town to sit at the assizes.
With this incredible history its no surprise that some of its former inhabitants wonder the corridors or linger in its historic rooms. Since reopening to the public there have been many reports of ghostly sightings and intense poltergeist activity, and now is your chance to investigate these claims with Fright Nights.
IF NO DATES ARE AVAILABLE BELOW THEN WE ARE SOLD OUT BUT PLEASE CHECK BACK AS WE UPDATE OUR WEBSITE WEEKLY.